Saturday 2 May 2009

Tomatoes galore!

I had a successful first summer season of tomatoes. Having grown green manure in late winter and spring and mixed it with horse poo, the patch was ready to jump! I'll try mustard in the green manure next time as it specifically kills organisms that bother tomatoes.

Of course the piccies look nice but there were a few tomatoes lost to fruit fly, giant slugs and even the local female Bower bird! Even so, we did not have to buy tomatoes all through summer and even the first month of autumn.


I grew three types: L-R: Black Russian, Amish Paste and Beefsteak.

The Black Russian tomatoes grew really well - not super-high yields but consistent yields for many months - maybe because the seeds were saved from a friend's patch from last year who lives in the next suburb and so has a similar climate.

One of the early beefsteak tomatoes just grew and grew - I'm not actually sure it wasn't some kind of wierd 'throwback', but I saved its seeds and I'll see what grows next summer.

Giant mutant beefsteak tomato... the one on the right! :-)

1 comment:

Valerie Polichar said...

They are beautiful! Nothing beats garden tomatoes. I have a couple plants in pots for this year, but I'm still getting gorgeous orange cherry tomatoes from last year's plants.. tomatoes are perennial in their original wild form from South America, and for some reason cherry tomatoes will often hang in there for a couple of years.

Hope you get to keep enjoying for a bit longer...