Monday 30 November 2009

Grand Garlic

I harvested my first batch of garlic a few weeks ago - very exciting!



After drying, carefully peeling the external one or two layers and plaiting them, they are now hanging proudly near our kitchen door. I had no idea how to do it so thanks to Gillybean and the fabulous internet, I followed the instructions. I think it looks rather rough, but hey, they hold together.





I planted two bulb's worth of cloves that a friend gave us. I think (but will have to confirm) that one is Australian White and the other Australian Red. I tried some of the red today and it was very fresh and had a strong flavour. The chemicals that are so active in garlic seemed to really have a "zing".

The red variety had these little "bulblets" that grow in the stem that you can plant like the cloves and one garlic bulb also gave me some bonus cloves as a second layer:





Another vegetable grown (for my first time) yet again proves to be more delicious than shop-bought stuff. I read somewhere that you can never plant enough onions - the same goes for garlic. I'm very pleased with my first attempt and they are keeping nicely, though they won't last too long as we can go through a few bulbs of garlic most weeks!

I left some of the flower buds on for show, so I just harvested the garlic in time.

No comments: