Tuesday 30 March 2010

Potatoes Galore!


(L - the waxy white, firm Coliban - R - the creamier, softer Dutch Cream

I tried a few different varieties of potato this season. White - Dutch Cream, Coliban, Pontiac, Nicola and Sebago; Pink - Desiree. A friend gave me some seed potatoes. I have to say after a few seasons now, the Dutch Creams are still my favourite and their flavour changes even with storage time. Fresh out of the garden and into a potato salad or steamed - they are to die for! You cannot get that rich creamy flavour from the shop-bought ones. The home-grown Desirees were pretty yummy too!



We had literally buckets of them and I weighed them to collect some of my stats :)
We lost a few (mostly Dutch Cream) due to very heavy prolonged rain and reduced drainage ( due to clay soil - still!). They rotted in the ground - bummer. Probably lost at least a kilo :(

Still, I planted 12 potatoes, most of them cut into pieces and got a total yield of just over 21kg! At say only $3 a kilo for pesticide-free home-grown delicious potatoes, that's $63 worth! The Sebago had an astonishing yield - one seed potato of about 100g (cut into pieces) yielded 5.85 kilos of potatoes. That's nearly a 59x yield by weight!



I laid them out in a dark room to let them dry out a bit after all that rain. I had many more potatoes than shown in this picture. We are still eating them now (4 months later) and had potato and pumpkin mash using our home-grown pumpkins for dinner tonight. YUM!

No comments: