Thursday 7 April 2011

Nothing is certain ... except death, taxes ... and change

After a lazy late winter/spring/summer! when I was too busy with my million other hobbies, the patch became weedy and difficult to get around. Plus I'd never netted it properly from our resident female bower birds and the occasional possum.



So after a dedicated weekend, I netted the patch, cleared the weeds off the path and used some scoria over newspaper for the new paths. I have used sawdust in the past and this works really well and you can scoop it on the the patch after it has rotted (takes a year or so!), but the little path around the patch is too small to do this easily, so the patch has gone a bit 'house and garden' :)


I found a use for some old ladders and trellis, providing a visually interesting climber for the peas:


Some crops left over from summer:
Rhubarb (Organic John gave me this healthy plant - I think it's had a bit too much nitrogen!):




Celery - I didn't know you could just pick the stalks as needed - bonus! I Haven't bothered blanching it (because I'm lazy - :)), so it's a bit more 'green' tasting than what I am used to (ie. more chlorophyll and more bitter (which is supposed to be good for you).



1 comment:

Captain Sensible said...

Delicious things are always produced from your fabulous patch. You can taste the love and attention you give the vegies (and the occasional snail that doesn't get out of the way quick enough)